Sunday 29 January 2012

Long Distance Clara - Wonderful Woman No. 27



Long Distance Clara from Pigeon Street (1981)
Fictional British Truck Driver


Pigeon Street was a children's television programme that focused on the lives of characters living on an everyday street, a street that also was home to a number of pigeons. Long Distance Clara was one of the residents, she was married to Hugo the Cook (who always had her dinner on the table after a hard days work) and drove around in a juggernaut.

When I was a child, I did not play with dollies and skipping ropes. I preferred trucks and footballs, I was labelled a Tom-boy and climbed trees and went fishing with my dad. Strawberry Shortcake and Barbie did nothing for me, the only doll I ever played with was a Sindy given to me by my Grandfather, she was a mechanic who wore a red overall and had a tool box, I pretended she fixed my trucks and scalextric cars. So when Clara appeared in Pigeon Street, she was exactly the role model I was looking for, I loved her.

No comments:

Post a Comment